Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Baked Potato Grilled Cheese

In my constant search for sandwich-inspiration, thank goodness for the Internet!

I recently found an epic list of different grilled cheese incarnations, henceforth to be referred to as The List, and after I wiped the drool off my chin, I faced the difficult decision of which one to make. The Baked Potato Grilled Cheese won out and I’m super excited to share my vision of it with you.



To create this sandwich edition of a baked potato with all the fixin’s, you will need:

-2 Large Baking Potatoes (Russets are good)
-Bacon
-Sharp cheddar cheese
-Sturdy sandwich bread
-Green onion
-Sour cream or crème fraîche


Prep :
1-Fry the bacon until crispy, then cut it into small bits.
2-Shred the potatoes and fry them up like hash browns (in the bacon grease, if that’s how you roll).
3-Slice the onion and grate the cheese.
4-Assemble the sandwich and insert some toothpicks to hold everything together.


Cooking:
I tried to grill them in the skillet like a regular grilled cheese, but the abundance of ingredients made it difficult for the sandwich to melt together and flipping it was basically impossible. So I did what one does when making stuffed baked potatoes: I baked them in the oven! They only needed 15 minutes total, but I rotated the pan at halftime so make sure they cooked evenly.

I served them immediately with a side of sour cream. So good! The onions were the unexpected star of this sandwich, as they added a nice spicy flavour and heat, while complimenting the bacon and the potatoes. This is a super-filling sandwich on its own, but I recommend adding a side salad to balance out the hot-mess of melted cheese and bacon grease.




It doesn’t have to be Grilled Cheese Month to enjoy this type of sandwich. If you’re feeling adventurous and creative, consult The List - and the blog! - for some excellent sandwich-spiration. 



Happy Grilling and Sandwich Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Omg they look so good. I will have too give theses a try. Thanks for posting this delicious looking sandwich .

    ReplyDelete